Believe Only.

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, but it empties today of its strength." - Corrie Ten Boom

My very wise father-in-law quoted this in his sermon yesterday morning when he preached on worry. It struck a cord with me because I tend to worry a lot. Big surprise huh? Not being able to carry a child, waiting in an adoption pool, and taking care of a little foster baby for 18 months can add a few worries to the plate. That's just extra, not including all the usual everyday worries of finances, car problems, school, church, commitments etc.

Sunday night we headed to a revival service at our sister church. He preached a sermon called "Believe Only." In a nutshell it was an amazing sermon, but he really challenged us to really believe in what we believe. Not just speak it, but really believe it with our heart. For example, all the time I say negative things but then just "tag" on the phrase "unless God moves of course." It's hard not to do this when things look so bleak and you don't want to get your hopes up.


Don't want to get your hopes up. This phrase makes no sense. Do I honestly think that if I am super negative about Baby K possibly being adopted, that if he leaves I will be any LESS sad? No absolutely not. I would still be just as heartbroken. So what is stopping me from only believing? I know that faith pleases God. I know that if I have faith as small as a mustard seed I can please God, but what's stopping me at a mustard seed? Why can't I have faith as big as the sky and hope for the things unseen?



It's much easier to only believe when things are going good and smooth and you are riding high on just that little bit of "good news." But when bad news comes in the form of a phone call or an unexpected text or email, it can feel like your sky of faith just came crashing down on you. It can feel like God just lost control. This part is when the rubber hits the road. You have to choose not to fall apart. You might cry for a moment, but then you have to turn those tears into prayers and get back up again.


Baby K has heard me pray for him so many times that if I even pause at all during my prayers he immediately says "awe-men."

So here I am today choosing to believe only. All the negative aside and I am believing only for a miracle for Baby K and for our forever baby to make it home. And do I even go so far to say, a miracle to happen within my own body? God is a big God. With him anything can happen.

"But as it is written: Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him." 1 Corinthians 2:9



Comments

Jed and Kimber said…
Such a good word. He is a good God, a big God. Yep, believing with you for His perfect plan to be accomplished in your family!
Danielle said…
amen!!!!!!!!!

thats all I have to say to that!!!!
Elizabeth said…
A powerful post today. I pray for Baby K and your baby to be and you too.
Elizabeth said…
A powerful post today. I pray for Baby K and your baby to be and you too, of course.
Allison said…
Amen and Amen! So so true. Love you and believing with you!

Miss you!
Mrs. K said…
What a BEAUTIFUL blog. Such wisdom, such powerful thoughts. So much to think about, stirs up deep feelings and questions. Thank you for sharing such thought provoking words of wisdom. God is good, He knows just where to send me today to get me thinking on the right track. God bless you Sweetie.
Amazing! Thanks for sharing.
Tammie said…
My thoughts are with you, I always wonder as a blogger if you think that it is strange that I comment often to tell you that I am praying Hard for you to adopt Baby K, he deserves to never leave the only Mom and Dad that he has ever had. You and your husband deserve the little baby that has been yours son since day one. I will continue to pray for you.
Tracy said…
Amazing. I hope your prayers are answered. Keep your hopes up.
Tracy said…
Amazing! I hope your prayers are answered and your hopes stay UP.
Kelly Marin said…
Very beautifully written, So Believing God for and with you. Please be encouraged that so many people are praying for your needs. Sometimes I'm driving in my van and baby K will pop up in my mind so I start praying, Why? Becouse God knows !
Barb said…
I've never commented before but read your blog all the time. I jumped over here from A Perfect Lily.
My question is why are you not being considered to adopt Baby K? It only seems logical and humane to me.

With love and prayers,
Barb
Naomi said…
Thanks for commenting Barb! I always love my visitors from A Perfect Lily =) Because Baby K's father is still wanting custody of him, NON-relatives will not be considered at this time. If his father decides to sign away his rights we will be top of the list to adopt Baby K. We are praying for this everyday, we feel strongly that this is where he belongs as he has been with us since the very beginning. Prayers much appreciated! =) thanks!
Naomi said…
Kelly your comment totally warmed my heart! Thank you!!
Anonymous said…
I just happened to see this today. Perfect timing! We are in the process of adopting a little girl from India. It has been a long process and I seem to lose heart so easily! Your blog gives me a lot of hope! Thank you!
Anonymous said…
I just happened to see this today. Perfect timing! We are in the process of adopting a little girl from India. It has been a long process and I seem to lose heart so easily! Your blog gives me a lot of hope! Thank you!

Popular Posts